A conversation about the government and corporate class campaigns to use the COVID moment to privatize or destroy our most critical public services: The US Postal Service, public K-12, and higher education, public hospitals, the Veterans Affairs health services, and more. We are joined by postal worker organizer, Charles Zlatkin, New York Labor Communications Council, as well as Clarissa Eaton on public higher education in Massachusetts.
- Visit the American Postal Workers Union to send a letter to your representatives and senators about the USPS.
- The Faculty Staff Union at UMass Boston has a petition challenging the effective layoffs of contingent faculty.
The show covered a lot of ground. Our host and guests called attention to may different sources of information. We list the links below in their “raw form” but will be updating them presently to make it more user-friendly:
- The Altantic‘s Philip F. Rubio explains why we must “Save the Post Office“
- The free-market right’s critique of the USPS, see “Restructuring the U.S. Postal Service” by Chris Edwards of the CATO Institute (funded by the Koch brothers, but also Google, Whole Foods (Amazon), FedEx, and Google)
- The Economic Policy Institute’s Darryl J. Anderson debunks myths about USPS in “Brookings paper on the Postal Service gets the facts wrong.“